Superfood Protein Cookies- The perfect on the go snack!
Updated: Jul 21, 2021
These cookies are packed with protein, fiber, and good quality fats, like Omega-3's, to support your hormones, balance blood sugar, reduce cravings and inflammation! Who knew a cookie could be THIS good. See below for a few special additions specifically for pregnant and breastfeeding mamas!
· 2 organic eggs
· 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (organic if possible)
· 1 cup seeds -I used a mix of pumpkin, sunflower, hemp and sesame seeds
· 1 cup nuts -I used a mix of crushed walnuts, chopped almonds, chopped brazil nuts, and macadamia nuts
· 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
· 1/3 cup cashew, sunflower seed, or tahini butter (or any type of nut or seed butter)
· 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
· 1/3 cup granulated sweetener-I used monk fruit
· 2 Tbsp organic flaxseed meal
· 3 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
· 3 tsp. ginger powder
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 1/2 cup chopped organic dark chocolate
· Additional options:
1st trimester-add attentional ginger or even ginger chews and cinnamon
2nd trimester-increase the protein as indicated below
3rd trimester-try adding chopped dates
Breastfeeding- add some fennel seeds and fenugreek powder (no fenugreek if you have a thyroid issue)
Increase protein by adding in a few tablespoons of organic collagen or protein powder.
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with organic parchment paper.
2. Add the coconut oil and nut or seed butter of choice into a saucepan. Heat on low until the mixture melts and stir to combine.
3. Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
4. The mixture can be a little sticky so either roll the mixture into 12-14 cookies or dump the mixture and spread onto a cookie sheet and cut using a pizza slicer when they finish baking.
5. Place the tray in the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
6. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool.
7. Store in an air tight container in the fridge or for longer storage the freezer.
Please note: If you have digestive issues, I would highly recommend using activated nuts and seeds to make these cookies because activated nuts and seeds don't contain enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid making them easier to digest and gentler on your gut.